What's gold leaf, exactly? What can I experience ?
Kanazawa's environment is suited to making gold leaf, and it has flourished here since the Edo period. Gold leaf manufacturing is also important for the restoration of national treasures and important cultural properties, and Kanazawa's expertise in this field is world-class.
Depending on the store, there are various items that can be produced and techniques that can be experienced. You can choose a workshop based on what you want to make, your budget and the time required. Most of the items can be made and taken home immediately. Buying various gold leaf and silver leaf products available at the many stores and learning about gold leaf through experiences are also popular.
Gold leaf application is a very delicate process. Many people say the moment when applying the gold leaf while holding their breath and heart pounding is exhilarating!
If you want to learn more about Kanazawa gold leaf, please visit Kanazawa Yasue Gold Leaf Museum near Higashi Chaya District.
- Gold leaf pasting experience
- Traditional crafts
- Enjoy a gold leaf workshop, one of the city’s top handicrafts, right in the center of Kanazawa
- Use one of the lightest and most glittery materials on earth to create a piece of your own
- 【Higashi Chaya District】～Goldleaf Workshop～ Design it yourself. Anyone can participate.
- Observe up close the goldleaf work by artisans. price:800JPY~, Duration:60min
- A very accessible gold leaf workshop, just a few blocks from Kenrokuen Garden
- There are many stylish designs to choose from and craft a souvenir of your own